Tutorial based on how to Use Microsoft SQL Server and Create Database and Tables Quires Step by Step with Screenshots
Starting SQL Server
1. Launch SQL Server Management Studio (Start-> All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> SQL Server Management Studio)
2. Connect to the SQL server on the local machine.
3. Under the Object Explorer pane, expand the SQL Server database folder if it is not already expanded.
4. You will see something similar to the figure below:
Attaching a Database in SQL Server 2005
1. Right click on Databases
2. Choose New Database…
3. The following screen is shown. Enter YourName (LabCS341) as the name of the database.
4. Click on OK.
5. A new database (YourName) will appear under Databases on the left hand side. In this example, LabCS341 is shown as the last database in the Databases list.
Creating a table in the database
1. Select database LabCS341 under the Object Explorer pane.
2. Right click on Databases LabCS341
3. Choose New Query…
4. Type the following command:
CREATE TABLE Employee(employee_id int NOT NULL,last_name nvarchar(20)NOT NULL,first_name nvarchar(20) NOT NULL,middle_name nvarchar(20) NULL,birth_date datetime NULL);
5. Execute the command by pressing the “Execute” button.
6. It will give you a message “Command(s) completed successfully”.
Insert values in the Employee table
7. Select database LabCS341 under the Object Explorer pane.
8. Select the New Query option from the toolbar. A tab will be created for you to enter your query as shown below.
9. Insert your first column in the Employee table. Type the following command:
INSERT INTO Employee (employee_id, last_name, first_name, middle_name, birth_date)
VALUES ('12', 'Smith', 'Mary', NULL, '02/02/1980')
10.Execute the command by pressing the “Execute” button.
11.It will give you a message “(1 row(s) affected)”. You have successfully inserted first row.
12.Likewise, insert 4 more rows in your Employee table.